Friday 6 January 2012

Words on a tree


There were words, and initials, written, carved, gouged on the trunk of the baobab.  The one I saw a few years ago at Voi, in Kenya.

It's believed that some baobabs are thousands of years old.  How old will this particular one in Voi get to be? For how many centuries in the future will it be standing guard at the railway station there?  How much history has it already seen?  If only that tree could talk.......

I felt for the tree.......  And also for the people who wrote those words on it....... who could they have been, when, and why did they do it, what were their feelings at the time, where did they go afterwards, and where are they now.......

The sight of that baobab.  It touched my heart.  And stayed with me.  For some reason I can't completely explain.......